Friday, April 16, 2010

Day One (re-deux)

Today I began what will soon become my revised daily routine upon my arrival at GCT . . . a  trip over to E67th Street for an injection of Lupron, and soon the start of my radiation treatments.

It's a busy Friday morning here at the Radiation Treatment Center.  It appears that there are more patients waiting that would be even be possible to move through the system so early in the morning. One young patient mentioned that because it's Friday, many patients arrive early in the hope of getting an earlier start to what is probably a well deserved weekend.

Everyone is here for the same reason. As one waiting patient put it, "an early morning barbecue". I laughed out loud and commented on his good natured attitude. I hope that after two months of this routine, I'll be able to maintain a similar smile in my tone.

It's a quiet place for having so much activity. Perhaps it's the harsh reality of what stepping off the elevator and into the waiting area represents.

In the short time I've waited here, I've already met patients who are knee deep into their daily "nuking". Others, first timers like myself, seem a bit disoriented in the surroundings. Not sure to go left or right down the hallway, or what direction to look when their name has finally been called. One ray of sunshine on this cloudy day as we wait for our names to be called; a couple of patients were met with a moving wave of applause as they stepped out of the locker room. An uplifting sign that their radiation treatment has come to an end, and it's finally time to move on.

So here we go . . .  and don't worry.  I'm still smiling and making my plans for tomorrow and beyond. I've got a long life to live, and a loving family and friends to share that time with.


3 comments:

  1. "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:12)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you "Dark Avenger", and thanks to my loving wife.

    ReplyDelete