Saturday, January 23, 2010

Just thought I'd stop in and post something . . .

There's really nothing more to share.   My next appointments are on April 6th, the Tuesday following my birthday (April 2nd if any one is interested).


For now, work is keeping me busy and I'm dong my best to not think about "cancer" on daily basis.  Even though the prognosis looks to be good (see previous blog entry), it is hard to not think about it - there are so many things that remind you every day.


I am trying to turn this into a positive thing by getting involved with some support groups to help to promote early detection of prostate cancer.  A fellow prostate cancer patient/survivor from North Carolina, Rick Lyke, started a grassroots organization, "Pins for Prostates" to help men to recognize the importance of early detection and to have their PSA level checked beginning when they turn 40 instead of the "standard" 50 years of age.


 pints4prostates_fullpagead3.jpg


Rick's idea is to utilize the "universal language of beer" in order to reach out to men with this critical health message of early detection. Getting men to understand some of the risks and how many new patients are diagnosed every year is the key, but in a relaxed & casual atmosphere enjoying great beers and conversation.


I have been in contact with Rick and I am working with him to organize a couple of events in Connecticut for 2010.  If you'd like to help us out, or donate in support of the efforts of Pints for Prostates, or any other Prostate Cancer support organization, just drop me a note and I'll pass along whatever information you'd like to have.


Once dates for the Connecticut events are set, I'll be sure to post the information here for all to see.


Thanks again for all your support and prayers.


Cheers!


Chris













No comments:

Post a Comment