Thursday, February 18, 2010

Time to catch up a bit . . . .

It's been nearly a month since my last entry here, and the reason why is that there's not much to report.  Read as good news.


I found out just last week that I had an appointment with an oncologist scheduled for Monday morning of next week. I had asked about one back in January when I was last in for a follow-up, but hadn't been told about a date until we called to inquire about making an appointment.


I haven't seen an oncologist since shortly after my diagnosis in late Aug. '09.  I have a few questions for him to maybe help put to rest some concerns Janet and I have had.  Again, it's just the not knowing that usually gets to you.


In early January at my last follow-up my surgeon and I discussed waiting on the radiation therapy due to the continuing low PSA levels when I was tested, 3 tests - 3 results of <0.05 .
As I understand it, radiation therapy can really only be performed through one complete cycle. It seems like a good idea to keep that treatment in our back pocket in the event there's a re-occurence in the coming years. (with my cancer having been stage 3, statistics show a near 50% return in 5 years)


So it's just time to discuss this decision and look at what else may need to be done, or any other tests that may need to be performed in order to keep a closer eye in the coming months.


For now, that's pretty much it.  I'm busy at work (as always). Staying busy with the family, celebrating our sons' birthdays (Ryan 13 on 2/26, and Jason 20 on 4/21) and the daily things in life.


I'm involved in scheduling/planning a fund raising/awareness event(s) with Pints for Prostates in Connecticut, as well as just helping to spread the word about the importance of early testing for prostate cancer. I've told my story both here and to my friends not to gain sympathy from you, but to do share my experience in the hope that others may benefit from what I have shared here over the last 4 months.  It has been beneficial to me as well to put it all in writing and let out some of how I feel about all of this.  I thank those of you that have taken the time to read through it, as well as for your support.


Cheers!







No comments:

Post a Comment