Thursday, May 27, 2010

A sad day.

Today I heard the news of the passing of a friend and fellow prostate cancer patient, Ken Sjogren.  He passed away at age 44 after his nearly two year long battle.

Ken and I worked together in the late '80's in Boston, and only last May reconnected through Facebook.  He had been working in California since he left Boston, and in the last 10 years or so worked as a digital artist/compositor at George Lucas' Industrial Light & Magic.  Ken's career lead him to work on major feature films like "Star Wars EP3", the Harry Potter films, "Pirates of the Carribbean", "The Chronicles of Narnia", and most recently "Iron Man 2".

It was not long after that I learned of his diagnosis and battle with prostate cancer. He had surgery in Boston in November of '08, but afterwards his PSA levels remained high and continued to fluctuate.  After undergoing radiation treatments and nearly 8 months of hormone therapy, it looked as if Ken was in the clear - with PSA levels hanging around 1.4.

I last spoke with Ken via Skype about 5 to 6 weeks ago. He was in good spirits as always and looked as well as I had seen him in previous phone/video calls. The conversation was short, and ended somewhat abruptly.

I realize now, that the backdrop during our video conversation wasn't the one I had become accustomed to - that of his apartment in Sausalito, CA. But, it was that of his parents' home in Grafton, MA.  Perhaps he didn't want to tell me that things were not looking too good.

Ken served as an amazing source of information and support when I first found out about my own diagnosis last August.  Always reminding me not to attach his experiences to my own situation - that every prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment was different. He spoke a few times with my wife Janet while I was home recoverying from surgery - checking in on me, as well as how she and the boys were holding up.


I am angry at myself that I didn't make a trip to California in April to visit Ken and a few other of our friends out there. That's a mistake I will no longer allow myself to make.

Kenny, I know I said it before to you but I'll say it again.  Thank you so much for your friendship, our days at Target Productions and our renewed friendship this last year.  For all the strength, caring and support you showed me as you fought your own battle against this beast of a disease.  I will be forever grateful to you, and will keep your memory and our friendship with me always.  


Rest peacefully Ken.  We'll see each other again some day.







2 comments:

  1. Of course, I had jokingly asked Ken, "Who's the guy dressed as George Lucas?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out about Kenny. I am devastated. I worked with him at 525 Post Production for 4 years in the mid 90's. We both worked a night shift together in a tape room. We became extremely close friends. I had the good luck of spending alot of time with him over the last 2 years. He was always upbeat and had a glow about him that I hadn't seen for a long time. I last spoke with him in April. I had no idea he wasn't doing well. But then, that's just like Ken, he didn't want me or my wife to worry about him. I will miss his witty smile and his profound "East Coast" awesomeness! God must need him for something, and if I know Kenny, he will be the best at whatever that might be.

    ReplyDelete