Monday, May 31, 2010

Mapped out, tattooed and my daily "BBQ" schedule is in hand.

First . . . Happy Memorial Day to you all!


I've always thought it's kind of an odd statement, but it is one of only two official days in this country when we pay our respects to those who have given their lives for the freedoms we enjoy in this country.  They deserve more whether you agree with their mission or not - they are putting their lives on the line to protect those who are unable to do so.  That's a hero.


 - - - - - - - - - - - 


After my simulation and mapping session in the radiology dept. at Sloan-Kettering, I am all set to begin my radiation treatments next week.  It's another one of those surreal times I've experienced in the last year - one that I just can't quite figure out how I got here or even why. Sometimes it's still a bit hard to digest and accept.


All that aside, I continue to move forward.  My radiation treatments begin on June 10th, and will run until August 4th . . .  every week day.  On June 8th, I have one last appointment before I begin the treatments. This is when the radiation oncologist determines the exact angle(s) and location(s) of the radiation dose.  Once that information is set into the computer, each time I go for my treatments a laser scanner will read the six small tattoos I now have to properly align the radiation beam and apply the dose.


This wasn't quite how I saw my summer months being spent this year. . . .  I really planned to spend more time with my family enjoying life just a bit more with a new frame of mind.  Of course I will do this no matter what . . .  just more day or one-night trips than maybe going away for a week.


At least when my radiation treatments are completed on August 4th, it will be a time to celebrate . . .   our 26th wedding anniversary.



No comments:

Post a Comment