Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In the words of that great American animated linguist, Homer Simpson . . .

"WOOHOO!"
I'm 10% of the way through my radiation treatments (that's four out of the 40 that are planned).

I met with my radiation oncologist last Friday, before my 2nd treatment, and he's very happy with the treatment plan and the coverage fields they are hitting during the treatments.

It's all pretty simple from my stand point.  I have to drink about 16oz of water when I first get to the radiation clinic so that my bladder is full for the treatment. This helps to help minimize the affect the radiation has on my bladder itself. After about an hour, I am told to go ahead and change into the hospital gown and wait in the inner waiting room just outside of the room that the machine(s) is in.

When it's my turn for treatment, I'm called into the room that houses the Varian RapidArc radiation treatment system.  The machine rotates around the table (couch) in front of it in a 360 arc - each time stopping where the appropriate dose needs to be applied.  Once I lay down on the table, the technicians turnoff the lights and turn on the laser lights and then position me on the table for proper alignment. Once that is done, the technicians leave the room and close a 14 inch thick lead door behind them.  At that point the warm fuzzy feeling about how safe this all is comes into question.



The bulbous portion at the top is where the dose(s) of radiation are emitted. The arms are either side are the "eyes" of the system - gathering a 3D x-ray image to assure proper alignment so that each dose is applied as accurately as possible. The table rises up to within 8 inches of the primary emitter, and the system rotates into position.

In my situation, the system rotates and then stops at five different locations, each time administering one to two doses of radiation - first a broader area, then a more narrowly targeted area.  Each dose is approximately 20 secs.

There is little to no sensation of the treatment - whatever I do seem to be aware of is probably just in my head (a mild tingling, or pulsing sensation).


So that is IMRT in a nutshell - or at least my experience with it. Four treatments down, 36 more to go.   I wonder if I will need to come in on the July 4th holiday?  The place must be a zoo the day before with everyone trying to sneak a treatment in earlier than their scheduled time.  I'll probably be doing the same thing.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment