Thursday, August 26, 2010

An anniversary . . . but one of celebration?


This weekend marks the anniversary of a moment in my life where everything just stopped.

The air stood still. The sounds around me just seemed to fall silent, and disappear. The only thing I was aware of was Janet's hand in mine - her grasp having suddenly become just a bit tighter.  It was the day I found out about my cancer.
That news was far from expected, and the timing couldn't have been more ironic. But there it was, and it was time to get to work and start the "good fight". Through a battery of blood work, MRIs, CT and bone scans, multiple doctor visits, followed by more blood tests and xrays, and scans . . . .  then surgery, eight weeks at home recovering, more doctors visits, blood tests . . . . .  two more doctors, testosterone reducing injections, eight weeks, 300 doses of radiation, and 56 blog entries (make that 57) later . . . .    here I am.

I get exhausted just thinking about it all again.

Oddly enough, through everything my family and I have been through, this last year seems to have passed quickly.  Now generally, I'm not a fan of life just moving out of control like a New York driver heading east along the Merritt Parkway. But, I have to admit that in a certain context, I'm very happy it's moved along at such a rapid pace.

Last week I've had, what I believe, is my last injection of Lupron (probably to just extend these wonderful side effects I've had the pleasure of experiencing). My PSA levels have remained at <0.05 since surgery, down from 62.7 a year ago. This is very good news, and a strong indication that the cancer has not spread anywhere else.

So what's next? A very good question indeed. The month of September is the first month in a year that I don't have a doctor's appointment or tests scheduled. Certainly a bit of a happy note there.  My next followup is with my medical oncologist in October, and then another with the radiation oncologist in December.  Hey! I don't have an appointment in November either!

I'm looking forward to fall in New England this year.  I've always enjoyed the change of the seasons and the beautiful fall foliage we have in this part of the country. It was something I could really only experience through the window, and during my short walks in the neighborhood, last year as I recovered from surgery.


This year, I've got the added bonus of joining many of my classmates from Acton-Boxborough Regional High School for our 30th reunion. I've been in contact with some of my old friends over the last year, and they've offer so very much support to my family and I during my treatment and recovery.  It's going to be nice to thank them in person, and to share some great memories and, I'm sure, embarassing photos.




The most difficult part of it all has been the not knowing what was happening, and what to do about it.  Well, I've done everything I was supposed to do, and been everywhere I've supposed to be when I was supposed to be there in this last year.  And now, like when this all started, it's time to just keep on living life and enjoying my family and friends.

Thanks again to those of you that have followed these ramblings.  It's provided a way for me to get things off my chest, and perhaps even helped other prostate cancer patients (actually, I know for a fact it has) in coping with their own new diagnosis.

I thank God for the amazing doctors, nurses, family and friends that have been brought into my life.  I am very blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment