Thursday, October 8, 2009

One Week . . .

and counting.

And you think this "countdown" thing is getting a bit boring and annoying for YOU!

I had my last pre-surgical tests on Tuesday, and met with my surgeon one last time. All systems go for next Wednesday.

We won't know what the schedule time for the surgery will be until the day before. So in the event it's a early in the morning, Janet, Evan, Ryan and I will be staying in the city Tuesday night so we won't have to deal with the insane morning traffic issues getting into the city. It will also give us some family time together and help to keep the boys' minds off of everything.

I'm told that the surgery is about three to four hours long, though I'm not sure if the recovery time is included in that.  I've asked Janet to take the boys out for a walk in midtown, maybe near 'Rock' Center, or maybe in the park to help kill the time. But something tells me they're going to just hang out in the family waiting area until they hear from the nursing staff for an update.

Tomorrow's my last day at work for while . . .  about two to three weeks.  I'll head back to work after that, but I don't expect to be able to do my full "normal" 10 work day (on top of my near 4-hour door-to-door daily roundtrip commute).  I'm going to have to ease back into the day, and perhaps try to make arrangements to somehow work from home, though that's a pretty unlikely scenario.

At the six week point, I'll have my first of a lifetime of blood tests to see where my PSA level has settled to. If the level drops to zero (or somewhere there about), I'm going to be in good shape, and will probably just have to go through a short round of radiation and/or chemo to kill off any cancer cells that are roaming around.   If the number is higher than say a 4, then the treatment may be a bit more intensive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

I know I've said this numerous times in this blog . . .

but Janet and I have had so many friends - old and new - offer up their "good thoughts", "positive energy", "lifted up in prayers" and love for us both, that we just can't express how much that all means to us.  Thank you.  I'll be back here soon and let you know how things go.

All our love right back at you all.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment