Monday, September 21, 2009

No news is . . .

Well, it's just kind of annoying.  So here I am again. . . .

Janet and I are meeting with Dr. Bertrand Guilionneau at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in Manhattan tomorrow for the first time to discuss surgical options and treatment.

I'll be honest, I'm concerned about the extended wait.  It's just seems odd that I need to wait 6 to 8 weeks post-biopsy.  Of course I STILL HAVEN'T ASKED, so that's my own fault.  This process has just brought a new light to how much I need to advocate for myself and not rely on the physicians to make all the recommendations. I did get surgical recommendations from my urologist, but they were primarily surgeons that perform traditional "open" surgery and not the "laparoscopic" or robotic laparoscopic that are my preference.

I suppose it's possible that I'm not a candidate for the robotic surgery for some reason, but no one has told me that yet even though I've expressed my preferences numerous times. No matter what, I just want to get moving forward with this and not give the cancer anymore time to spread.

All that aside, the family and I made a trip back home to Massachusetts over the weekend for a visit with friends and family.  We had a good time, it was so nice to see some old neighbors and friends from our church in Andover - all of whom wanted updates and are praying for all of us.

Anyway, that's pretty much all for now.  Perhaps after our meeting at Sloan-Kettering tomorrow, I'll have some "forward moving" news.

Cheers!

CJP
<><

P.S.  -  I'd also appreciate prayers for an old friend and co-worker Ken Sjogren from our days at Target Productions in the late 80's and early '90s.  Ken has been a great source of support in recent weeks, as well as a great source of information. Unfortunately it's because he went through this himself exactly a year ago.  His diagnosis came last September, and surgery in November.   Though the surgery itself was a success, his outcome wasn't nearly as good as he had hoped. His PSA level remained high following surgery which is an indication that the cancer has spread.  Ken is continuing with treatments weekly and is keeping an amazingly great attitude telling me he feels good and is still working full days at his job as an effects compositor at Industrial Light & Magic in California (Yes, George Lucas' visual effects company).  He's been a huge help in my first few weeks dealing with this, and I so appreciate all of the insight he's had to offer.

The results of all of Ken's treatment won't be fully known until January when follow-up tests are done.  I'd appreciate a prayer for he and his family and friends as well.    Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment