Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Staying positive, and moving forward . . .

Things are moving along as fast as they can, I guess.

I have an MRI and full-body scan scheduled tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon in order to determine if and how far the cancer may have spread.

I also have an appointment with an Oncologist @ 8am Thursday morning at Yale Cancer Center to discuss the test results.  At that point we will have a much better idea as to what we are dealing with and start to make a treatment plan. No decisions, just a look at where things stand

It's an appointment I am looking forward to in order to get started on fighting this, and at the same time, it's one that I'm dreading just as much.  Janet is taking the day off from work (school started yesterday where she teaches) to come with me.

Just so you understand the reason for the tests; if the cancer has already spread, then surgery to remove the prostate may not immediately be an option.  Either way, radiation and/or chemo may be in the near future. 

I look at it this way.  It's what needs to be done to get me better . . .  AND, I may not have to shave for the first time since I was 13 years old!!   Yeah, I know. . . kind of a weird thought, huh?

In my desire to do everything to keep life as normal as possible for my family, I took the family (except for Jason who's off at school) to a Bridgeport Bluefish game last night. We had a good time, though it actually got really cold out about two hours in.   I didn't bring a jacket - something else I'm going to have to be more conscience about in the months to come.

- - - - - - - -

In my first post I had mentioned something my urologist had said about the PSA test being somewhat over used, but if it wasn't for the test we wouldn't have known about my cancer.

A good and longtime friend of mine back in Massachusetts mentioned to me that there was an NPR story on prostate cancer diagnosis' this morning.  I've included the link below in an effort to provide as much information about this disease and the process of detection and treatment.
(I have no opinion per se about the article, I'm just passing it along as additional source of information)



Thanks again for everyone's prayers, love and support.  It helps and means a great deal to my family and I.


Cheers!

CJP


No comments:

Post a Comment